- Code Number:
Forth Bridge Railway, 1890, over the Firth of Forth
- This Bridge is a cantilever railway bridge over the Firth of Forth in the east of Scotland. To this day it is considered an engineering marvel. This was the first all steel structure constructed in Britain.
Construction of an earlier bridge, designed by Sir Thomas Bouch, got as far as the laying of the foundation stone, but on Bouch's death the project was transferred over to Sir John Fowler and Sir Benjamin Baker, and was built by Sir William Arrol's company between 1883 and 1890.
It is 2.5 km (1.5 miles) in length, and the double track is elevated 46 m (approx. 150 feet) above high tide. It consists of two main spans of 520 m (1,710 feet), two side spans of 675 feet, 15 approach spans of 51 m (168 feet), and five of 7.6 m (25 feet). Each main span comprises two 210 m (680 feet) cantilever arms supporting a central 110 m (350 feet) span girder bridge. The three great four-tower cantilever structures are 104 m (340 feet) tall, each 21 m (70 feet) diameter.
Located: Edinburgh, Inchgarvie and Fife, Scotland
Maintained by: Balfour Beatty under contract to Network Rail
Designer: Sir John Fowler and Sir Benjamin Baker
Design: Cantilever Bridge
Total length: 2,528.7 meters (8,296 feet)
Longest span: 2 spans, 521.3 m (1710 feet)
Clearance: 46 meters (151 feet)
Opened: March 4, 1890
Daily traffic: 190 to 200 trains per day
Bridge, Crossing, Span, Construction Cranes, Crane, Heavy Equipment, Firth of Forth Railroad Bridge, Cantilever, South Queensferry, Scotland, Commercial Construction, Construction Site, Industry, Industrial